Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Results Are In

ESTP
Extravert(22%)  Sensing(1%)  Thinking(62%)  Perceiving(11)%
You have slight preference of Extraversion over Introversion (22%)
You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)
You have distinctive preference of Thinking over Feeling (62%)
You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (11%)

ESTPs are spontaneous, active folks. Like the other SPs, ESTPs get great satisfaction from acting on their impulses. Activities involving great power, speed, thrill and risk are attractive to the ESTP. Chronic stifling of these impulses makes the ESTP feel "dead inside."
Gamesmanship is the calling card of the ESTP. Persons of this type have a natural drive to best the competition. Some of the most successful salespersons are ESTPs. P.T. Barnum ("Never give a sucker an even break") illustrates the unscrupulous contingent of this type.
Almost unconsciously the ESTP looks for nonverbal, nearly subliminal cues as to what makes her quarry "tick." Once she knows, she waits for just the right time to trump the unsuspecting victim's ace and glory in her conquest. Oddly enough, the ESTP seems to admire and respect anyone who can beat her at her own game.
"If I was any better, I couldn't stand it!" To an ESTP, admission of weakness feels like failure. He admires strength in himself and in others.
"Shock effect" is a favored technique of this type to get the attention of his audience. ESTPs love to be at center stage, demonstrating feats of wonder and daring.
***
It's difficult to say whether these characteristics are accurate or if it's just some great placebo effect. I feel more empowered as a person after reading each neat thing about an ESTP, but then I have to realize it's a computer program. It doesn't really know me. So, I take this quiz with a grain of salt. That being said, I do think that some of these attributes resonate inside me on a personal level. For example, I can usually tell how a person's feeling just by watching their body language. The way I choose to react, well, that's completely up to me as an individual, but for the most part I feel like I can adapt in most situations. As for the "great power, speed, thrill and risk" part, I'm not so sure. Yes, I do enjoy certain adrenaline pumping activities, but for the most part I'm pretty content just going about daily life. Also, I'm not as competitive as the results imply. Granted, I don't enjoy failing, but it's not as if I'm crushed by it bar a few scenarios. Unless I'm truly passionate about something, I'm content with learning from my failures and picking myself back up.

Also, I'm sort of on the fence when it talks about the whole "shock effect". Sometimes I enjoy having all eyes on me (usually when I'm acting like a total dork), but for the most part I'd prefer if people would divert their eyes lest they want me to give them judgmental looks. 

All in all, the quiz was very entertaining and I feel like I can draw some conclusions out of the plethora of feedback. I will be taking it with a grain of salt, of course, and more than likely will take most of my advice from the affirmation solicitation sheets that my peers so kindly took their time to complete. Here is my favorite response:

1) Friendly
2) Loyal
3) Funny
4) Enthusiastic
5) Honest

Jonathan has a great personality. If he is capable of expressing what a friendly guy he is through his essay, I think he'll be very successful in his college search. Maybe a funny anecdote would be helpful as far as brainstorming is concerned.

Apparently, my "rabbi" thinks I'm a friendly individual. I am honored and will heed his advice.
PS Not really my rabbi

1 comment:

  1. Good to take this with a grain of salt Jonathan. To paraphrase C.S. Lewis-- if it's helpful, take it in; if it isn't, toss it out. Your affirmation is true though-- I have yet to see you in a sour mood; you are consistently friendly and upbeat!

    I noticed this was posted Sunday, which means I have to dock it. :( Hope the information was helpful regardless.
    5/10

    ReplyDelete